Michael Rasmussen is an internationally recognized pundit on governance, risk management, and compliance (GRC) – with specific expertise on the topics of enterprise GRC, GRC technology, corporate compliance, and policy management. With 27+ years of experience, Michael helps organizations improve GRC processes, design and implement GRC architecture, and select technologies that are effective, efficient, and agile. He is a sought-after keynote speaker, author, and advisor and is noted as the “Father of GRC” — being the first to define and model the GRC market in February 2002 while at Forrester.
Michael has contributed to U.S. Congressional reports and committees, and currently serves on the Leadership Council of the OCEG and chairs the OCEG Technology Council, OCEG Policy Management Group, and the OCEG GRC Architect Group.
Michael is quoted extensively in the press and is respected for his commentary on broadcast news channels. He is an Honorary Life Member in The Institute of Risk Management for his contributions to risk management and GRC. In June 2007, Treasury & Risk recognized Michael as one of the 100 most influential people in finance with specific accolades noting his work in “Governance and Compliance: Saving the Planet and the Corporation” and as a “Rising Star in Rocky Times: Corporate America’s Outstanding Executives.”
Prior to founding GRC 20/20 Research, Michael was a Vice-President and ’Top Analyst’ at Forrester Research, Inc. Before Forrester, he led the risk/compliance consulting practice at a professional services firm, and prior to that has specific experience managing compliance and risk within commercial organizations.
Michael’s educational experience consists of a Juris Doctorate in law and a Bachelor of Science in Business. Michael is currently pursuing a Master of Divinity at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School with a research focus in ethics and church history. He is a GRCP (GRC Professional), CCEP (Certified Compliance and Ethic Professional), and a CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional). OCEG has recognized him as an OCEG Fellow for his contributions and advancement of GRC practices around the world.
Certifications & Designations
- OCEG Fellow
- Honorary Life Member, Institute of Risk Management (IRM)
- GRC Professional (GRCP)
- Certified Compliance & Ethics Professional (CCEP)
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- Master of Pastoral Ministries, Nashotah House (in progress)
- Master of Arts, Church History (in progress)
- Thesis in Progress: Anselm of Canterbury
- Juris Doctorate, Oakbrook College of Law & Government Policy
- Bachelor of Science, Business, University of Phoenix
- Open Compliance and Ethics Group (OCEG)
- Chicago Regional Business & Ethics Network (CRBEN)
- Institute of Risk Management (IRM)
- Society of Corporate Compliance & Ethics (SCCE)
- Professional Risk Manager’s International Association (PRMIA)
- Information Systems Security Association (ISSA)
- Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA)
- Information Systems Audit & Control Association (ISACA)